BOX 13 ArtSpace is an artist run, non-profit, innovative environment for the creation and advancement of experimental contemporary art in Houston. BOX 13 artists create this environment through the offering of affordable workspaces for emerging and established artists, dedicating three interior spaces to the exhibition of artistic explorations, a window gallery for installations and an outdoor courtyard space. BOX 13 promotes dialogue among artists and the art community on current trends affecting the arts.
BOX 13 ArtSpace is currently accepting proposals for 2017 – 2018 for exhibitions in its two Downstairs Galleries and Window BOX Gallery. Artists and curators are invited to submit recent (or proposed) experimental works not previously shown in Houston.
***The proposal deadline has been extended – our submission deadline is Sunday, October 30th, 2016, before 11:59 PM CST.***
Exhibition and performance proposals will be reviewed and selected by a committee of BOX 13 resident Artist Members. We will inform you of our decision by November 30, 2016.
All proposals must be submitted in digital format. No snail mail please. Send us your proposal(s) and images via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline listed above. Alternatively, all requested material can be posted to a single page on a website, and a link may be submitted.
All proposals must include the following:
- Exhibition Proposal in a Word document or PDF file, 500 words or less. These must include:
- Contact information (email and phone of all artists involved)
- Title, description, concept and physical details
- Requested gallery space (Front BOX, Back BOX, or Window BOX) and any requests for equipment or special installation requirements*
- Any budgetary concerns (BOX 13 does not have a budget for assisting artists with expenses at this time but will help when possible in searching out alternative funding and/or installation methods)
- Resume(s) or CV(s) for all proposed participating artists, each as its own Word document or PDF file.
- NO MORE THAN 10 Digital Images in .jpg format. Numbers should be used in the file names beginning with 01.jpg. Each image must be 1MB or SMALLER. Any files not meeting these requirements may not be viewed when considering your proposal.
- Videos must be ready to play on a computer using Windows Media Player or QuickTime; a link to Vimeo or YouTube in the body of your email would also suffice.
- Corresponding numbered Image List of submitted images and/or videos in a Word document or PDF file.
- Email subject must read “2017-2018 Exhibition Proposal.” If you are submitting more than one proposal, please send separate emails to email@example.com.
There are detailed technical drawings of the gallery spaces and their dimensions that are available to help you with your proposal through the links below:
For more information or to make an appointment to view the galleries, please feel free to contact us in advance. Gallery hours are Saturdays, 1-5 PM while exhibitions are on view, or by appointment.